LCMS is the master’s degree to LMS’s bachelor’s degree.
LCMS is the apple pie to LMS’s apple.
LCMS is the email to LMS’s letter.
In other words, Learning Content Management System (LCMS) is the expansion of the already existing Learning Management System (LMS) software. However, both of them have their purpose in eLearning.
The LCMS and LMS applications are software solutions that allow administration, automation, and training through the internet. These applications are collections of integrated products that include LMS, LCMS, courseware and virtual classrooms.
What is LCMS and LMS?
Can the addition or deletion of a single letter in an acronym make a difference? Yes, it certainly can, at least in case of LMS and LCMS. Several companies looking to add more variety to their repertoire of eLearning training programs end up getting confused between the two abbreviations that look and sound more or less the same, but actually provide different services.
Though they have numerous similarities, they remain distinct when it comes to core functionalities. Hence, companies when looking for an online training software, should be wary of confusing their services.
Learning Content Management System or LCMS is a platform used to create, develop, maintain, edit and publish the learning content. The content can be in the form of a video, audio, written text, or graphics which are completely customizable. LCMS tends to be more open to manipulation and interaction of content.
Learning Management System or LMS is a platform used to plan, monitor, track and implement the learning content. LMS is a centralized system which is used by companies to provide training programs to its workforce. LMS tends to be more reserved for just providing content.
LCMS is the Platform that Manages Content Creation:
An LCMS is a complex platform that is used to develop content which facilitates e-learning programs. It provides experts and authors the ability to efficiently create and modify eLearning content. It has the ability to store content and can also recover your previous works as and when needed.
LCMS can produce learning objects which you could reuse, like PDF, PowerPoint, or Word files, video and audio, when required. The main objective of an LCMS is creation of sufficient and timely content so that the requirements of learners- be it an individual or a group- can be effectively met.
Generally, an LCMS platform allows numerous coworkers to work together and create content which can then be used in various formats. The main components of an LCMS are:
- An authoring tool appropriate for non-programmers.
- A dynamic content delivery interface.
- An administrative section which delivers course content.
- A management record that tracks progress.
- A central database of learning object repository which manages the content for users.
LMS is the Platform that Manages People:
There is a necessity for many organizations like consulting firms, pharmaceutical and biotech businesses, etc. to train their workforce and keep them informed on current developing activities. These companies achieve this objective by embracing eLearning in the form of a Learning Management System.
An LMS gives your organization a simple but powerful platform for managing students’ and/ or trainees’ experience through their journey with the eLearning content. It plans, delivers and manages all the learning and/ or training needs within your organization. It also helps bring uniformity in the training course content so that you can assess your workforce systematically and raise their competence levels across the board.
With LMS you can track user registration and involvement and receive progress reports. However, the limitation of LMS is that it cannot create content, it does not have the authoring abilities LCMS does.
Differences between LCMS and LMS:
- End User: The end user is the content creator for the LCMS and the learner (or user) for the LMS. While, administrators, training managers and instructors use an LMS, an LCMS is more often used by project managers, content developers, designers, and higher education professors.
- Curating Content: The main function of an LMS is to manage a learner, while an LCMS’s chief functionality is to manage content. An LCMS can create content, an LMS cannot do this.
- Management: An LMS platform is used to manage course catalog, user registration and capturing student/ trainee profile data. An LCMS is used to manage learning content in the form of learning materials, assessments, and several additional learner interactions.
- Data Storage: An LMS system stores data on learners and courses whereas an LCMS stores content in a central database of learning object repository.
- Reporting: An LMS system provides individual employee report of the assessment taken and can also be used for skill gap analysis, while an LCMS system offers tools used for content interaction.
- Usage: An LMS is used to track knowledge features, while an LCMS is used to develop various courses with content objectives or reusable learning material.
- Deliverance Formatting: An LMS platform assists the distribution of eLearning courses, an LCMS platform helps in delivering learning content in various formats that can be altered if needed by authorized curators.
- User Analysis: An LMS platform has the capability to create and manage tests, while an LCMS platform provides various learning features like skill gap analysis and adaptive learning paths.
- Sharing: An LMS system can share user data with an ERP platform, an LCMS is not able to do so.
What you need for your organization: LCMS or LMS?
LCMS and LMS both help in tracking the progress of students or trainees by delivering content, but at a different level. Other than providing exhaustive tracking of user performance at a finer level, an LCMS also assists authors in evaluating relevance, effectiveness, and clarity of the learning materials. An LMS primarily focuses on tracking and managing blended learning courses.
When an organization’s main purpose is to just deliver effective eLearning, the application they should consider purchasing is an LMS system.
On the other hand, when an organization’s purpose is learning development, LCMS application is better suited. In other words, this organization is looking for a software that can manage, retrieve, and modify reusable learning mediums.
When you have decided which system bests suits your organization’s needs, come to DocuSKY.
Tailor your corporate content to suit your needs and increase your ROI with DocuSKY analytics. You can gauge the effectiveness of your content, as you are able to measure who interacted with your documents from where and for how long. This gives you the opportunity to develop quality content, which can increase your organization’s overall profits.
DocuSKY is a secured, cloud-based, content delivery platform which allows you to track, share and analyze your intellectual property without the anxiety of data theft. This means your content is encrypted and it is safe from any form of data breach.
Ready to start training from the SKY?